About the Library

About the Library

My Account-Renew Online

Mission Statement

The mission of the Coronado Public Library is to acquire  and make available a collection of books, audio-visual, and other library and information resources to meet the  informational, recreational, and cultural needs of the community and to actively promote reading, life-long learning, and the pursuit of knowledge.

Library Staff

 Shaun Briley  Director  sbriley@coronado.ca.us  619-522-7395
 Franklin Escobedo  Principal Librarian  fescobedo@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2470
 Elizabeth Page  Senior Librarian, Head of Youth Services  epage@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2471
 Vy Tu  Senior Librarian, Head of Technical Services  vtu@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2473
 Christopher Morris  Library Technician, Head of Circulation Services  cmorris@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2472
 John Donel  Librarian II, Technology Librarian  jdonel@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2474
 Eileen Hauser  Librarian II, Audio-Visual & Programs  ehauser@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2482
 Eileen Lawson  Librarian II, Periodicals & Genealogy  elawson@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2481
Nick Burmeister  Librarian II, Digital Media Librarian  nburmeister@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2483
 Jacqueline Luna  Librarian II, Teen Librarian  jluna@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2479
 Maria Herrera  Accounting Technician  mherrera@coronado.ca.us  619-522-7392
 Candice Hooper  Library Assistant III, Exhibits & Archives  chooper@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2476
 Elizabeth Skelly  Administrative Secretary  eskelly@coronado.ca.us  619-522-2475

 

Library History

The Coronado Library was founded in 1890 by the Coronado Library and Free Reading Room Association.  It was supported for many years by gifts and fund raising.  In 1895 the Hotel del Coronado provided a rent-free small pavilion building for use for the "Coronado Beach Library", which was located by the trolley stop across the street from the hotel.  John D. Spreckels, then owner of the Hotel del Coronado, was later asked by the Coronado Library Trustees to build a permanent library building.  Mr. Spreckels agreed and had architect Harrison Albright design and build a classical revival library building on the West Plaza Park in 1909. 
 
The library building was given by John D. Spreckels to the City of Coronado and the people of Coronado.  The building still stands at 640 Orange Avenue.  This original building serves as the Spreckels Reading Room within the 40,000 square feet newly remodeled and expanded library building.
 
The Library includes study space at tables and carrels, lounge seating, wireless throughout, a large public meeting room and smaller conference room, separate Children's Library and Teen area, an Exhibit Gallery, public-access computers and collections in various subjects and formats. A used bookstore, the Second Hand Prose, is also operated by the Friends of the Library.
Download Ask Coronado App