Emergency PreparednessWelcome to the City of Coronado Emergency Preparedness page.
Emergency preparedness must be a way of life for the 24,697 residents and nearly 600 businesses in Coronado. In the event of an earthquake or other natural disaster, are you prepared? What would you do if the streets were impassable and public services interrupted or stretched to the limit? Do you have a plan?
Everyone should be ready to provide for their own needs for a few days. Natural disasters can happen any time. Your potential for survival is greatly increased by being prepared. We are providing tips and links for emergency preparedness on this page to help you with your planning.
The City of Coronado has several pages dedicated to emergencies:
- Community Emergency Response Team - For citizens who want to receive training on how to respond to emergencies in their city. The goal of this program is to better prepare the community for disasters and to help serve neighborhoods when emergency services are overwhelmed. Training schedules are listed.
- CPR Classes - Participants learn how to save lives in a $25, five-hour course.
- Fire Prevention & Education - Do you have a home fire escape plan? Do you know what to do if you see fire or flames? Learn more about fire prevention and the importance of planning for a real fire emergency.
- HAZMAT Collection -- Household products containing toxic chemicals become hazardous waste when you decide to dispose of them. Never throw hazardous products in the trash. Learn how to safely put toxic waste in its place.
- Emergency Medical Services - The Coronado Fire Department does more than fight fires. Highly skilled paramedics and firefighters are cross trained to ensure they are able to respond to a variety of emergency situations.
The City of Coronado has published or makes available several brochures to help residents and businesses be prepared for natural disasters and emergency situations:
- Tsunami Preparedness Guide - This helpful guide includes general information about tsunamis and information that is specific to Coronado.
- CERT Class Schedule - Find out when the next CERT class will be held.
- CPR Schedule 2013 - Make plans to sign up to learn CPR.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Learn how to put toxic waste in its place.
- Coronado Emergency Preparedness Newsletters - Archives
- Earthquake Tips - Southern California is earthquake country. Be prepared.
The City of Coronado publishes links to websites where residents can find helpful ways to prepare for emergencies and links to handy brochures:
- City of Coronado Police Department
- San Diego County Office of Emergency Services
- County of San Diego Health & Human Services
- California Emergency Management Agency
- California Department of Public Health
- American Red Cross
- Homeland Security
- U.S. Fire Administration
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission