About the Library

The Coronado Library was founded in 1890 by the Coronado Library and Free Reading Room Association.  It was supported for many years by gifts and fund raising.  In 1895 the Hotel del Coronado provided a rent-free small pavilion building for use for the "Coronado Beach Library", which was located by the trolley stop across the street from the hotel.  John D. Spreckels, then owner of the Hotel del Coronado, was later asked by the Coronado Library Trustees to build a permanent library building.  Mr. Spreckels agreed and had architect Harrison Albright design and build a classical revival library building on the West Plaza Park in 1909. 
The park and the library building were given by John Spreckels to the City of Coronado and the people of Coronado.  The building still stands at 640 Orange Avenue.  This original building serves as the Spreckels Reading Room in a 40,000 square feet newly remodeled and expanded library building.
The Library includes study space at tables and carrels, lounge seating, wireless throughout, a large public meeting room and smaller conference room, separate Children's Library and Teen area, an Exhibit Gallery, public-access computers and collections in various subjects and formats. A used bookstore, the Second Hand Prose, is also operated by the Friends of the Library.