Reporting Overflows

All sewer spills are reported to the Department of Environmental Health (DEH) and the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board (SDRWQCB). Follow-up procedures includes a video inspection to assist in determining the cause and potential repair methods if there is a break in the line. If a spill is determined to be caused by private matters, we will inform the private party of their responsibility to correct the situation.

If you see a sewer spill, either on public or private property, please take the following steps:

  1. If possible, and safe to do so, contain the spill.
  2. Contact the Public Services Division at 619-522-7380 or the Police Department after hours at 619-522-7350.
  3. If a homeowner or business owner is experiencing a backup or spill within their property but is unclear where the problems lies, contact Public Services. We will determine if the problem is within a private line or within the City main line. If it is determined the spill is a private matter, the homeowner will need to contact a plumber.
  4. Cease from using additional water or flushing toilets until the spill and blockage are mitigated.

If in doubt, contact the Public Services and Engineering Department and staff will respond.