Encroachment Permits

An Encroachment Permit is required to install private permanent/fixed improvements within (or encroaching onto) the public right-of-way. These include, but are not limited to, underground, overhead, and ground-level improvements such as wall, fences, synthetic turf, and outdoor dining facilities. (Reference Coronado Municipal Code 52.08.) An encroachment may require approval from the City Council if the City Engineer determines it to be of sufficient public interest.

To apply for an encroachment permit:

  1. Submit a completed Encroachment Permit Application (PDF) with a computer-generated diagram showing dimensions and square footage of the proposed improvements like the examples provided (PDF). More complex improvements will require additional plan details. Submit applications to [email protected] or mail to:
    Engineering Division
    City of Coronado
    1825 Strand Way
    Coronado, CA 92118
  2. Pay the Encroachment Permit fee, which can be viewed in the permit fee schedule. Fees for water conservation improvements are waived as described in the following.

Encroachment Permits are subject to approval conditions. See Sample Encroachment Conditions (PDF). All Encroachment Permits are recorded at the County Recorder's Office. Applicants are responsible for paying all recording fees (PDF) by submitting a check made payable to The San Diego County Recorder.

Once the Encroachment Permit is approved by the City Engineer, the applicant or their contractor must obtain a Right-of-Way Permit (PDF) authorizing construction to be performed by a properly licensed contractor. For further clarification on the difference between Encroachment and Right-of-Way Permits, please read the corresponding section further on.

For further information regarding Encroachment Permits, please contact the City of Coronado's Engineering Division at 619-522-7383.

Water Conservation Improvements

Artificial turf and other water conservation improvements have been increasing in popularity among Coronado residents in recent years. Encroachment Permits are required for artificial turf and other similar improvements proposed within the public right-of-way. Since Coronado is in a drought-impacted area, the City Council has approved a fee waiver on all permits associated with water conservation improvements. View the Water Conservation Encroachments Policy (PDF).

Encroachment Permits vs. Right-of-Way Permits

Encroachment Permits grant authorization for private, permanent/fixed improvements proposed within the public right-of-way. A Right-of-Way Permit authorizes a contractor to temporarily occupy the public right-of-way for construction of said improvement.