Dewatering Permits


Water from pools/spas/saunas is not to be discharged directly to the storm drain system (curb and gutter). Instead, use sewer cleanouts. If unable to locate a cleanout, contact the Public Services Division at 619-422-7380 and we will assist.

Construction Sites

Construction sites must contact the Engineering Division at 619-522-7383 and obtain the required permit before any dewatering of their site to the City sewer system occurs. By obtaining the appropriate permit, the City can ensure flow rates will not surcharge the sewer system (potentially causing sewer spills) and monitor debris entering the sewer system.

Dewatering directly to the bay or ocean requires a permit from the San Diego Regional Quality Control Board, and potentially other agencies. If proper permits are not obtained prior to discharge, fines can be imposed.

Policies & Procedures