Junior Lifeguard Program
Provided are answers to frequently asked questions regarding the Coronado Beach Junior Lifeguard Program:
- For registration information and questions visit the Recreation and Golf Services Department registration page. You may also contact the front desk at 619-522-7342 or email the Recreation Department.
- Prior to registering for the selected session date, all Junior Lifeguard (JG), Ocean Awareness, and Cadet applicants must pass the swim test. To sign up for a swim test, visit the Recreation registration page and then link to PerfectMind.
- Please sign up for only one swim test per day/time and attend the scheduled swim test before scheduling an additional swim test. There are limited swim test openings and signing up for multiple swim tests prevents other applicants from scheduling a swim test.
- Once the swim test has been completed and passed successfully, staff will update the participant's profile in PerfectMind within 72 hours. Participants will then be able to register for their selected session. (Review the flyer for more information about Cadets)
- For additional information email the Junior Lifeguards. Due to limited staffing please allow two business days for a response.
- Unless it is during JG standard operations time (during the summer 8 am to 12:30 pm) please do not leave a message. Phone: 619-522-2629.
Ocean Awareness Ages 7 to 9
Ocean Awareness is a week-long program designed to provide youth with an introduction to the ocean environment. The class focuses on beach safety and fun ocean activities such as open water swimming, surfing, body boarding, and paddling. Ocean Awareness is a great way to introduce youth to the Junior Lifeguard experience.
Complete a 50-yard freestyle swim in 1 minute and 30 seconds or less.
Coronado Junior Lifeguards Ages 9 to 17
Junior Lifeguards is a three-week program offering youth an opportunity to learn about the ocean environment from Coronado Beach Lifeguards. Instructors will provide a safe and fun outdoor classroom for youth to learn about the ocean while also developing friendships, confidence, mental and physical fitness. Lessons include: beach safety, lifeguarding skills, open water swimming techniques, surfing, body surfing, body boarding, paddling, stand-up paddling, kayaking, ocean science, basic first aid and CPR skills.
Complete a 100-yard freestyle swim within the time limits listed.
|"C" Group Ages 9 to 11||2 minutes and 15 seconds|
|"B" Group Ages 12 to 13||2 minutes|
|"A" Group Ages 14 to 17||1 minute and 45 seconds|
Coronado Junior Lifeguards Cadet Program Ages 14 to 17
The Cadet Program is a three-week program designed for teenagers who are interested in sharing their ocean knowledge. Cadets will assist instructors with daily operations and instruction of younger Jr. Lifeguards. Cadet training is intended to prepare them for the Lifeguard Assistant position in the future. The tuition cost for Cadets is waived.
Complete an open water swim (approximately 350 yards) in less than seven minutes and thirty seconds, a one mile run in less than nine minutes, attend mandatory training, and commit to working an entire three-week session.
View the Cadet Application 2022 (PDF).