Junior Lifeguard Program
Registration opens for April swim test dates on Tuesday, March 14th at 9:00 a.m.
Below are answers to frequently asked questions regarding the Coronado Beach Junior Lifeguard Program:
- For registration information and questions visit the Recreation and Golf Services Department registration page. You may also contact the front desk at 619-522-7342 or email the Recreation Department.
- Prior to registering for the selected session date, all Junior Lifeguard (JG), Ocean Awareness, and Cadet applicants must pass the swim test. To sign up for a swim test, sign up through the Recreation Department's program, PerfectMind.
- Please sign up for only one swim test per day/time and attend the scheduled swim test before scheduling an additional swim test. There are limited swim test openings and signing up for multiple swim tests prevents other applicants from scheduling.
- Once the swim test has been completed and passed successfully, staff will update the participant's profile in PerfectMind within three days. Participants will then be able to register for their selected session. (Review the flyer for more information about Cadets)
- For additional information email the Junior Lifeguards. Due to limited staffing please allow two business days for a response.
- Unless it is during Junior Guards standard operating time (summer hours 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.), please do not leave a message. Phone: 619-522-2629.
Junior Guards Bootcamp (Ages 7 to 9)
A three-day camp designed to increase the participant’s comfort level in the water. Activities include swim conditioning and stroke work (freestyle) in the pool and open water activities in Glorietta Bay. Prerequisite: Complete a 50-yard swim without touching the bottom or stopping.
Ocean Awareness (Ages 7 to 9)
Ocean Awareness is a weeklong program designed to provide youth with an introduction to the ocean environment. The class focuses on beach safety and fun ocean activities such as open water swimming, surfing, body boarding, and paddling. Ocean Awareness Week is a good way to introduce youth to the junior lifeguard experience. Prerequisite: Complete a 50-yard swim (freestyle) in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds (1:30).
Coronado Junior Lifeguards (Ages 9 to 17)
Junior Guards (JG’s) is a three-week program offering youth an opportunity to learn about the ocean environment from Certified Coronado Beach Lifeguards (CBLG). Instructors provide a safe and fun outdoor classroom for youth to learn about the ocean while also developing friendships, confidence, mental and physical fitness. Skills taught include beach safety, lifeguarding skills, open water swimming techniques, surfing, body surfing, body boarding, paddling, stand-up paddling, kayaking, ocean science, and basic first aid and CPR skills. Prerequisites below:
Complete a 100-yard freestyle swim within the time limits listed.
|"C" Group Ages 9 to 11||2 minutes and 15 seconds|
|"B" Group Ages 12 to 13||2 minutes|
|"A" Group Ages 14 to 17||1 minute and 45 seconds|
Coronado Junior Lifeguards Cadet Program (Ages 14 to 17)
The Cadet Program is a three week program designed for young adults who are interested in sharing their ocean knowledge with youth. Cadets will assist instructors with daily operations and the teaching of younger JGs. In addition, cadets will be provided training to prepare them for the CBJG Assistant Instructor paid position. The tuition cost for Cadets is waived. Prerequisites: Complete an open water swim (approximately 350 yards) in less than seven minutes and thirty seconds, a one mile run in less than nine minutes, attend mandatory training, and commit to working an entire three-week session.