Solar Photovoltaic Installations 10 kW or Less in One &Two-Family Dwellings
Submittal requirements for expedited solar photovoltaic building permits:
- Expedited permit processing is available for residential solar photovoltaic (PV) projects that are roof-mounted and up to 10kW. PV installations that meet these criteria may be eligible for "over the counter" permitting. Larger systems or those equipped with storage batteries must be submitted for standard processing.
- Planning review is required for Solar PV installations of this size
- Complete Building Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Demonstrate compliance with the Eligibility Checklist for Expedited Permitting (PDF)
- A complete set of plans which include the following items:
- Locations of main service or utility disconnect
- Total number of modules, number of modules per string and the total number of strings
- Make and model of inverter(s), micro-inverters and/or combiner box if used
- One-line diagram of system
- Specify grounding/bonding, conductor type and size, conduit type and size and number of conductors in each section of conduit
- If batteries are to be installed, include them in the diagram and show their locations and venting
- Equipment cut sheets including inverters, modules, AC and DC disconnects, combiners and wind generators
- Labeling of equipment as required by CEC, Sections 690 and 705
- Site diagram showing the arrangement of panels on the roof or ground, north arrow, lot dimensions and the distance from property lines to adjacent buildings/structures (existing and proposed)
- A roof plan showing roof layout, PV panels and the following fire safety items: approximate location of roof access point, location of code-compliant access pathways, PV system fire classification and the locations of all required labels and markings.
Permit applications must be submitted to the City of Coronado Building Division in person at 1825 Strand Way, Coronado CA 92118.
Permit applications utilizing expedited review process may be approved "over-the-counter".
Fiscal Year 2020 to 2021 Fees (PDF) (Effective July 1, 2020)
Once all permits to construct the solar installation have been issued and the system has been installed, it must be inspected before final approval is granted for the solar system. On-site inspections can be scheduled by contacting Building Services by telephone at 619-522-7361. Inspection requests received before 4 pm are typically scheduled for the next business day. Permit holders must be prepared to show conformance with all technical requirements in the field at the time of inspection. The inspector will verify that the installation is in conformance with applicable code requirements and with the approved plans. See the Single Inspection PV Checklist (PDF).
Departmental Contact Information
For additional information regarding this permit process, please email building services or call us at 619-522-7331.
Note: Solar Photovoltaic Installations more than 10kW are not eligible for expedited plan reviews