Beach Wheelchair Program
Notice: The Beach Wheelchairs are currently out of service and are being repaired. Please check back later.
Making the Beach Experience Accessible to All
The Coronado Beach Lifeguard Division wants to share the beach experience with as many people as possible. To assist those who are mobility impaired to enjoy our beautiful beaches, power, and manual beach wheelchairs are available at no cost. These beach wheelchairs are equipped with large, wide wheels which allow users to be rolled across the sand for a "Front Row Seat" at the shoreline's edge.
The beach wheelchairs are stored at the Main Lifeguard Tower located at:
920 Ocean Boulevard,
Coronado, CA 92118)
Two disabled-access parking spaces are available at that location, view the Beach Map (PDF). In addition, there is a wheelchair ramp and walkway over the sand that leads directly to the Main Lifeguard Tower. Staff are able to provide assistance with transferring into and out of the beach wheelchair
Please be prepared to fill out a checkout form and to leave a valid Photo I.D. on hold as collateral until the beach wheelchair is returned. You may leave your personal wheelchair inside the Main Beach Lifeguard Tower while using a beach wheelchair.
Beach Wheelchair Use Tips
The following are some recommendations for making your use of the beach wheelchair more enjoyable:
Use of a beach wheelchair is free and available on a first-come, first-serve basis, during daylight hours only. No reservations are available.
- Beach Lifeguards may be out on an emergency call and may not always be immediately available to issue or accept a beach wheelchair.
- A valid photo I.D. is required to check out a beach wheelchair, in addition to a completed Liability Release Form.
- Bring a friend. The manual beach wheelchairs cannot be self-propelled and staff are not able to provide assistance with pushing the beach wheelchair.
- The beach wheelchairs are not designed to go into the water and must be kept on dry sand at all times.
- Keep track of time. Staff must store the chairs before they leave each day. Check with staff to know when you must return the chair.
- Please do not leave the beach wheelchair unattended.
- Daily Hours: 9 am to Sunset.
If you have any questions or need more information, please call 619-522-7346.