Encroachment Permits

An encroachment permit is required for any encroachment into the public right-of-way. An encroachment permit differs from a right-of-way permit in that the work results in a permanent change to the public right-of-way which enhances or benefits private property. The outdoor dining area at a restaurant that encroaches into the Adella Plaza is an example of a project that required an encroachment permit. Fences and walls, if they are within the public right-of-way, require encroachment permits. (Reference Coronado Municipal Code 52.08.)
Certain encroachments require approval from the City Council. They include underground structures which extend into the public right-of-way, structures built over the public right-of-way and other encroachments which the Director of Engineering and Project Development determines to be of sufficient public interest to require approval from the City Council.
To apply for an encroachment permit, complete an encroachment permit form and send it to City Engineer, City of Coronado, 1825 Strand Way, Coronado, CA 92118.  If approved, the work must be done by a licensed contractor. Click here for a fee schedule.
Routine construction in the public right-of-way such as driveway, curb and gutter, irrigation system and sewer lateral work does not require an encroachment permit because this work only temporarily disturbs the public right-of-way. However, a licensed contractor must apply for a right-of-way permit in order to do this work.