Reporting Overflows

All sewer spills are reported to the Department of Environmental Health (DEH) and the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board (SDRWQCB). Follow-up procedures includes a video inspection to assist in determining the cause and potential repair methods if there is a break in the line. If a spill is determined to be caused by private matters, we will inform the private party of their responsibility to correct the situation.

If you see a sewer spill, either on public or private property, please take the following steps.

1. If possible, and safe to do so, contain the spill.

2. Contact Public Services at (619) 522-7380 or after hours at (619) 522-7350.

3. If a homeowner or business owner is experiencing a back-up or spill within their property, but is unclear where the problems lies, contact Public Services. We will determine if the problem is a within a private line or within the City main line. If it is determined the spill is a private matter, the homeowner will need to contact a plumber.

4. Cease from using additional water or flushing toilets until the spill and blockage are mitigated.

If in doubt, contact the Public Services Department and staff will respond.