City Council Minutes Special - 04/18/2007back
SPECIAL CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CORONADO CITY HALL
1825 STRAND WAY
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18, 2007
The Special City Council Meeting was called to order at 3:15 p.m.
1. ROLL CALL:
Present: Councilmembers Downey, Monroe, Ovrom, Tanaka and Smisek
Also Present: City Manager Mark Ochenduszko
City Clerk Linda Hascup
2. COMMUNICATIONS - ORAL: None.
3. CLOSED SESSION:
3a. Authorization for the City Manager to Execute a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Between the City of Coronado and the Coronado Police Officers' Association (CPOA) for Fiscal Years 2007-08 Through 2009-2010. Leslie Suelter, Director of Administrative Services, provided background information on the agenda item. She reported that staff has concluded successfully the negotiation process with CPOA.
Major elements of the agreement include:
· General salary increases for all covered members of 4.00% in 2007-08 and 3.5% in 2008-09 and 2009-10.
· Special market salary adjustments of 2.00% for Police Officers and Sergeants and 1.25% for Police Services Officers (PSOs) and the Animal Control Officer (ACO) in 2007-08; Special market salary adjustments of 0.50% for Police Officers and Sergeants in 2008-09.
· Revised CalPERS retirement for public safety members to the Employer Paid Member Contribution (EMPC) program effective approximately July 1, 2009.
· Increased Cafeteria Benefit Plan allotment.
· Adjustments to the uniform allowance of some members.
· Miscellaneous wording changes to clarify the existing MOU and other minor non-salary item adjustments.
Ms. Suelter explained that the staff recommendation asks that the City Manager be given the authority to make sure the language is worked out as has been agreed upon and to include the items as they have been spelled out. She added that the CPOA voted overwhelmingly in approval. They are very pleased that good relations have been reestablished after the difficult negotiations that occurred last year.
Mayor Smisek congratulated everyone on a job well done. The agreement was within the parameters the City Council agreed to and added that this is the earliest there has been an agreement that he has ever experienced.
Councilmember Monroe asked who was on the negotiating team. Ms. Suelter responded that, in addition to bargaining group's attorney Brad Fields, the team consisted of Mark Porter, CPOA President, Dan Schicker, CPOA Vice President, Officer Dunphy and City staff members Jesus Ochoa, Jim Lynch, and Leslie Suelter.
Councilmember Ovrom was pleased that the City was able to make an agreement that stayed within the market and that was well responded to by the CPOA.
MSUC (Downey/Monroe) moved that the City Council authorize the City Manager to execute the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Coronado Police Officers' Association (CPOA).
AYES: Downey, Monroe, Ovrom, Tanaka and Smisek
4. ADJOURNMENT. The meeting adjourned at 3:32 p.m.
Approved: May 1, 2007
Tom Smisek, Mayor
City of Coronado
Linda K. Hascup