How to obtain an Oversized Vehicle Permit

A temporary parking permit can be obtained by a resident at the Coronado Police Department (700 Orange Avenue) if certain restrictions are met.  Permits will be available at the Police Department Monday through Friday, except holidays, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  You will need the following information to obtain a permit: 
  • Identification showing you are a Coronado resident
  • Contact phone number 
  • Oversized vehicle license plate (and State), Make, Model, and length of vehicle. Attached trailer license plate if your have a combination of vehicles
  • Which 48 hour period you want the permit issued for            

Permits are good for 48 hours only and require that the oversized vehicle is being loaded in preparation for a trip or unloaded after a trip.  The oversized vehicle permits cannot be used for commercial purposes. There currently is no fee for an Oversized Vehicle permit.


You are required to place your issued permit in the windshield of the oversized vehicle so it is visible to law enforcement but not blocking vision for driving and operating the vehicle.  The permit requires that the oversized vehicle be parked at the residence where the permit was issued. 


Emergency repairs to oversized vehicles parked on the public roadway require permission from law enforcement personnel if the vehicle has no current permit.  The vehicle must be shown to be immoveable to qualify for emergency repair exemption.  You will have a reasonable period of time to get the emergency repair completed or the vehicle moved.


Residents may obtain up to three (3) Oversized Vehicle Guest Permits per calendar year.  The Coronado resident must come to the front counter of the Police Department Monday through Friday (except holidays) between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.  to obtain the Oversized Vehicle Guest permit.  They will be required to have the same information mentioned above as well as the vehicle information about their guest's oversize vehicle that will be parking in front of the residence for more than 3 hours.


None of the permits mentioned in this information leaflet allow for sleeping or lodging in the oversized vehicle or detached non-motorized vehicle while parked on the public street.


Detached non-motorized vehicles (trailers) are also restricted from parking or stopping on public streets for more than three hours.  There is no size requirement for this portion of the ordinance and any detached non-motorized vehicle applies.  A Coronado resident may obtain a Detached Non-motorized vehicle permit allowing the vehicle to be detached and parked in front of the resident's house for up to 48 hours.  The permit requires that the vehicle be prepared for loading or unloading for non-commercial purposes.  There are no guest non-motorized vehicle permits allowed.


Parking of any vehicle requires that the vehicle be parked such that it is not a hazard or obstruction in the roadway.  If you have additional questions, you can contact our Traffic Office at 619 522-7359.  Thank you for your attention and cooperation.