UPDATED: Coronado's National Bike Month Activitiesback
Contact: Mariah VanZerr
UPDATED to include postponement of Bike to Work Day
Coronado Active During National Bike Month
CORONADO, CA (May 15, 2014) – The City has received word that due to disruptions caused by the wildfires, the SANDAG iCommute program has decided to postpone tomorrow's Bike to Work Day event countywide to Friday, May 30.
The agency expressed its concern for the health and safety of riders, the public, and emergency response personnel.
SANDAG stated: "The fires have affected air quality countywide, making physical exertion inadvisable in areas where there is still smoke in the air. The lives of thousands of residents have been disrupted. With much of the public safety resources in the region focused on the fires, SANDAG wants to do its part to keep people off the road to avoid putting further strain on emergency responders. Our thoughts are with the families who have been impacted by the fires and the emergency responders who are working hard to save homes and lives."
For more information, call Mariah VanZerr, the City's Active Transportation Planner at (619) 522-2423. Residents can learn more about Bike Month events happening across the region by going to SANDAG's iCommute Bike Month page and the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition's Bike Month Page.
Here is a list of Coronado events/activities planned for National Bike Month:
- May 16 - Bike Safety Poster Contest Deadline: The Bicycle Advisory Committee, the City of Coronado and the Coronado Unified School District have partnered to host a Bike Safety Poster Contest for elementary students. All the schools in Coronado have been invited to participate. The theme this year is bicycle helmet safety. Entries are due May 16 and will be on display at the Recreation Center from May 19-23. A poster about the contest can be found on the City's website and includes more details.
- Ongoing - Videos and PSAs: Coronado Schools are working on Public Service Announcements, such as this one on Bicycle Helmets posted on Monday on eCoronado.
- June 1 - Coronado Bicycle Rodeo and Safe Cycling Festival: The Coronado Bicycle Rodeo and Safe Cycling Festival is being organized by the Coronado Bicycle Advisory Committee in conjunction with the Coronado Recreation Department and sponsored by the Optimist Club of Coronado and Holland's Bicycles. The second annual Rodeo and Bike Safety Festival will feature an opportunity to register bikes with help from the Coronado Police Department; learn basic bike maintenance skills; ride the bike safety course; and ways to earn prizes. It will be held at the small park next to the Coronado Yacht Club along Glorietta Bay near the Bayshore Bikeway.
- May 26-30 – Bike to Work Week Corporate Challenge: The City of Coronado is participating in the regional iCommute Bike to Work Corporate Challenge. Employees are encouraged to sign up.
- May 30 - Bike to Work Day: Details will be provided when arrangements are finalized.
Bikes parked at Coronado High School.